Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Passage That I Find Memorable

     It took me awhile to think of a good passage to post for this, but I finally found it.  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is one of my all-time favorite reads.  I may not agree with all of the theistic undertones, but I do very much enjoy the themes about omens and the Soul of the World.  This book follows the story of an Andalusian boy who goes from being a shepherd to becoming a traveler.  The people he meets, the thoughts he thinks, and the dialogue spoken between characters are all very meaningful.  I can't really say much without giving it all away, so here's the excerpt:

     "The seer was a specialist in the casting of twigs; he threw them on the ground, and made interpretations based on how they fell.  That day, he didn't make a cast.  He wrapped the twigs in a pieces of cloth and put them back in his bag.
     "I make my living forecasting the future for people," he said.  "I know the science of the twigs, and I know how to use them to penetrate to the place where all is written.  There, I can read the past, discover what has already been forgotten, and understand the omens that are here in the present.  When people consult me, it's not that I'm reading the future; I am guessing at the future.  The future belongs to God, and it is only he who reveals it, under extraordinary circumstances.  How do I guess at the future?  Based on the omens of the present.  The secret is here in the present.  If you pay attention to the present, what comes later will also be better.  Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children.  Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity""

    

3 comments:

  1. I will have to read this book. I've heard lots of good things about it but just never got to it. I always think of this clip I saw on ABC...this guy mentioning "mental alchemy" when asked why he helped someone in need. Someone posted the clip (and lots of writing about it) on a blog:

    http://thejolynproject.com/2012/04/07/learn-love-mental-alchemy/

    Makes me think of your Thomas Paine quote, too, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the link and watched the video, and wow. I want to meet that guy. I'm also definitely reading more into mental alchemy, that intrigues me...Thanks for sharing that :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. But, mostly I wanted to comment on the fish you have swimming at the bottom of the page. So fun! It probably shouldn't be quite as fascinating to me as it is... Maybe I'm a little too easily entertained. But, I enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete