Friday, January 11, 2013

Maya Angelou, My Response To

A caged bird, probably singing.
     Maya Angelou said a caged bird will sing not of joy, but of the longing for freedom.  This makes much sense to me, because I find it unlikely that anything living behind bars would be happy there.  I know if I were locked up and kept as some one's (or some thing's) pet, I would often think about what it would be like to enjoy the freedom that was taken from me.

     She also believes that all people have a "universal power to triumph over adversity."  I strongly agree with Maya here.  I know that this power exists within me. I also know that when I need it most, it will surface for the cause.  I use it in small ways every day of my life, or at least the essence of it.  I see it used all of the time, being used by people of all ages.  All you need to prove this remarkable ability's existence is to flip on CNN or another news station.  Watch, observe, listen, and you will here countless tales of how people overcome tragedy. 

     Angelou also states that talking about her bad dreams "gives them too much power."  I very much do agree with this, as I am a believer of the Law of Attraction.  The Law of Attraction simply states that "like attracts like."  Therefore whatever may be on our minds, the physical world around us will somehow attune to it.  So when you are thinking extremely negatively, you are very much more likely to have negative things happen to you or around you.  In contrast, when you think positive things, you attract the positive energies in the world around you.  Yes, I do believe her when Angelou says that her bad dreams gain more power when thought about.

     I think its safe to say that our subject, Ms. Angelou, is a polyglot.  She is comfortable using 7 languages!  I'm not sure if I could ever master that many languages, but I definitely want to know more than two.  I think that it is important to be more cultured in an ever-changing global society.  I have a head start in French and Spanish already so if I were to pick a couple languages to become fluent in, I would choose those pretty quickly.  If after I mastered those I still have a hunger for more language,  I'd go with either Portuguese or Italian.  It'd have to be those because they are so closely related to Spanish and French that I could pick up on them rather fast. 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE FISH.

    And I like how your writing actually sounds like i'm talking to your face :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely writing here, Sean. I will take to heart, especially, what you said about the Law of Attraction. Such truth. I put quite a bit of stock in the idea of Karma, which seems closely related or at least similar. I envy your comfort with languages. I only remember basic vocabulary from my years studying Spanish. It's probably a bit self-centered of me not to make an effort to learn the language of another culture. I'll put that on my long-term To Do List.

    ReplyDelete