Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A Writing on the Topic of Music

     When I listen to music, the emotions evoked by it differ depending on what sort of music it is that I am listening to.  For instance, if I'm listening to some crazy hardcore gangsta-rap then I'm going to feel quite thug.  Or, if I am listening to Frank Sinatra or something of the like, then I'll feel pretty classy.  I listen to music in order to put me into a certain mood, or emphasize the one I am already in.
     My friends definitely do not listen to the same music I do.  Most of what I listen to is really chilled-out, easy listening type-stuff.  Most of what my friends listen to, however, is really obnoxious rap and/or death metal.  I think this means that I'm very different than my friends, and that shows in more ways than just music taste.
     Music does for me what other things in life cannot.  Music helps me get through what-would-be boring car rides.  Music drowns out the noise around me so that I may read a book in peace.  Music gets me pumped up for something I know I need to do.  Music keeps me motivated to clean my house, do the dishes, etc.  There's a lot of things that I use music for, that was just a few.  Without music I would be an insane, barbarian-esque person.
     I wouldn't ever want to be a professional musician.  Not only do I fail at producing music, but I also fail at being onstage.  Music is one of those things that I can enjoy greatly, but I'm so musically untalented it isn't even funny.  I took guitar lessons for about three years.  My parents pulled me out of it and stopped paying eventually, but they wouldn't tell me why until I was older.  When they finally did tell me, I wasn't very shocked.  My guitar instructor had pulled them aside one day to tell them that I had made very little, if any, progress.  He said that in the nicest way possible.  I knew I was good at other stuff, like reading, so this really didn't bother me.  Anyway, they agreed to stop with the lessons.  If I learned anything from the whole experience, it's that we are all good at different things.
The heartbreak of not being musically inclined. (lol)

1 comment:

  1. I suffer the same heartbreak. I used to be comfortable singing in front of people, but now that would make me panic. I knew instrumental music wasn't for me when my parents asked me to practice my clarinet in our barn during middle school band.

    ReplyDelete